Do you want to sail beyond the Key Bridge and explore the Chesapeake Bay? Or do you dream about a sailing vacation in the Caribbean? Well, you aren't alone.
Many Downtown Sailing Center (DSC) members who learn to sail on our J/22s and Sonars eventually want to learn to sail larger boats. The DSC’s cruising program provides recreational and educational sailing opportunities on our fleet of cruising-class sailboats.
As DSC cruising crew or a cruising skipper, you can enjoy sailing on our cruising boats, take classes to become better cruising crew, or even gain the knowledge and practice the skills needed to become a cruising skipper.
A Cruising Council, comprised of DSC members, manages the cruising program, cruising events, and cruising fleet. Any DSC member (other than Supporting Members) may participate in the cruising program by adding cruising privileges on to their membership.
By participating in the DSC Cruising Program, you can:
· learn the necessary knowledge and skills to safely operate the DSC the vessels in the cruising fleet
· volunteer for DSC cruising events and the various outreach programs of the DSC
· learn how to maintain and repair cruising class sailboats
· take courses, on-the-water exercises and attend lectures on topics of interest to cruisers
· accumulate hours underway to build a successful sailing resume to graduate from cruising crew to cruising skipper
Email Cruising@downtownsailing.org for more information about the DSC Cruising Program.